Details of Exam Board: AQA
- 5 GCSEs, grade 4 or above, including Maths and English.
- Minimum GCSE grade 5 (or equivalent) in English Language (but preferably a grade 6).
- BA (Hons) Sociology at Leeds University
- BA (Hons) Special Educational Needs and Sociology at Liverpool Hope University
- BA (Hons) Sociology at Liverpool John Moores University
The course seeks answers to important question in society such as:
- ‘Why do girls do better than boys at G.C.S.E?’
- ‘What is the role of education?’
- ‘Are criminals mad or bad?’
- ‘Why do people become criminals or commit suicide?’
- ‘Is religion in decline?’
- ‘Why are Muslims in Britain more religious?’
- ‘Which methods can you use to study society?’
Sociology requires students to write extended essays and discuss a variety of different theoretical perspectives and ideas.
I absolutely love Sociology, I have loved it since I started studying it at 16. It is so relevant to every area of society and helps you have a real insight and empathy for the people around you. It is an academic subject with lots of essays and writing, however there are always discussions and debates. Everyone ends up opening up and learning lots about each other in Sociology - the classes always become a “Sosh fam"
Sociology provides a fantastic academic background to a number of careers. The course is particularly useful to those who are interested in working with people. The developed understanding of society and skills gained can be useful to the majority of careers. In order to progress to some of these jobs some suitable university courses are;
- Degree in Medicine
- Degree in Law
- Degree in Journalism
- Social Work Degree
- Sociology Degree
- Degree in Nursing
Assessment is entirely by examination and consists of three written papers at the end of Year 13, although there may be an opportunity to sit an AS exam in this subject. All papers carry an equal weighting of a third of the overall grade.
- Paper 1 – Education with Theory and Methods is a 2 hour examination.
- Paper 2 – Topics in Sociology – Families and Households and Beliefs in Society is a 2 hour examination.
- Paper 3 – Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods is a 2 hour examination.