Details of Exam Board: Pearson BTEC Level 3 National extended certificate
- 5 GCSEs, grade 4 or above, including Maths and English
- BA (Hons) in Film Studies at Bradford University
- BA (Hons) in Film Studies at Bangor University
- BA (Hons) in Creative Writing and Film Studies at Liverpool John Moores University
Students can expect the following as part of their studies;
- To educate you as students in a Media world, to gain a further understanding of the world that we live within.
- The qualification provides a coherent introduction to the study of creative digital media production at this level.
- Learners develop an understanding of the media industry through analysing media representations and pitching and producing media projects.
- This qualification is designed to give learners a technical understanding of film and television production. Learners gain knowledge and skills in areas such as single- and multi-camera techniques, lighting, sound recording and editing to produce practical film and television projects.
The media is forever changing which is what I think makes this subject so exciting to study. My passions lie in the development of sociological theories and applying them to media products, exploring how people interpret and consume media. As part of the course you will be required to create a full pre-production plan which will help you to make your very own film. The course is split into 2 exams and 2 units of coursework. There is also an opportunity to go to New York with the Performing Arts department.
Media Studies is a subject that covers many different areas within both the industry and education. If you were interested in taking this subject in relation with another arts subject e.g. Drama, Dance or Music, this would vastly widen your opportunities.
Students to go on to study degrees in Animation, Film and television production, Journalism, Broadcast production and presenting and Media production.
Some of the careers associated with this qualification are as a Director, Editor, Scriptwriter, Technician or Location Manager.
The weighting of assessment is 40% assignments and 60% controlled assessment.
The coursework assignments are set and marked by your teacher and then externally moderated. You will complete a series of practical tasks set in a work related scenario.
Unit 4 Pre-Production Portfolio
Unit 10 Film Production
The controlled assessment element will be set and marked by the exam board. You will have to respond to a pre-released brief or complete an online examination.
Unit 1 Media Representations
Unit 8 Responding to a Commission